Busy Nights Real Food
Wednesday, September 28, 2005
  Will it rise to the occasion?
Well I had the day off today and was sure I would spend the whole day in the kitchen since I had yet to do any real cooking all week.

I woke up early and made BBQ Chicken Pizza for a recipe shower at work today. Then the rest of the day was spent trying to figure out what I would make tonight.

Well tacos or burritos were originally on the menu, but since my cousin made us enchiladas last night those didn't sound good. The rainy, cold day we had today put me in the mood for soup or chili. But really is chili really chili if is doesn't cook for like 8 hours? So soup it must be.

I looked through about 48 different soup recipes before deciding to make one I have made several times. French Onion Soup has always been one of my favorites. I even like the soggy piece of bread (though that is just a recent change in tastes). So anyways a few years ago I found a recipe for it and have been fiddling with it ever since. Tonight's was not my all time best performance, but it was still great. And of course my favorite part is the melted cheese on the sides of the soup crocks. Yummy. So what would I serve with this soup? Well I felt it was time to conquer another kitchen fear. And that I did. So did it rise as my title asks? Well...Its kind of funny looking I realize. I used a recipe from Joy of Cooking. As you can see, it doesn't really look like a regular loaf of bread. And to be honest, I have no idea why.
Well despite the funny shape, it sliced nicely and had a nice chewy texture. I think I will try a different recipe next time and see if I can find one that I have better results from. But hey, two fears down and this one I actually want to make again.
 
Comments:
You did a fabulous job! Bread flour it is!!! Looks delish!
 
It doesn't matter how it looks, just that it tastes good. The more you work with yeast breads, the better feel you'll have for it. Since we're heading into fall, why not commit to making it at least once a week, 'till you have down pat?

French onion soup is one of my all-time favourites... I use Julia Child's recipe.
 
I love French Onion soup--though I've never been able to get it just right. There was one time I was close, but could never even come near to reproducing it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:

Just a mom, sharing our life on this little blog.

LINKS
Epicurious / Food TV / Cooking Light / Lone Star Diva

BLOGS I LOVE
Adventures in Food and Wine / Amateur Gourmet / Culinary in the Desert / Farmgirl Fare / Food Blog Scool / I Like to Cook / Jeff's Stuff / Kayaksoup / Mona's Apple / Musings / Savory Notebook / Sweetnicks

ARCHIVES
July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / May 2006 / December 2009 /


Powered by Blogger