Busy Nights Real Food
Monday, October 31, 2005
  My Big Fat Greek Burger
Happy Halloween!! I am almost out of candy so the porch light will soon be extinguished. The number of Trick or Treaters that go door to door seems to be decreasing in recent years. Is that just in my neighborhood. We passed the candy bowl around before we run out. Though I am not big on the decorations, my pumpkin was destroyed by the "wildlife", and I am not creative enough to come up with good costumes, I love to see the kids with all their fun costumes.

Well on to dinner. Have you ever had a recipe or dish that you successfully make time and time again? Well I used to make a mean hummus. I would whip it up on a weekly basis. Then one day something happened. I made my hummus just like always and it wasn't any good. I checked and hadn't forgotten any ingredients, nothing had gone bad, everything was just the same as always, except the taste. I have tried the recipe time and time again and still it doesn't seem to turn out quite right. So after many a wasted garbanzo I have resorted to the boxed variety. But it really is good...really, I swear. Dress it up with some extra olive oil and you've got what we lovingly call "hoo-moo". Maybe I can get a recipe I have success with again, we can only hope.

Well dinner tonight was so good. We had Greek-Style Burgers with Feta Aioli from Cooking Light. Oh...my...God were these tasty. I may have been able to live on the aioli alone. It was just the right amount of spicy. The burgers were enormous because we decided to only make 3 instead of the 5 they said in the recipe. To say the least we've got some leftovers. I want to just make a few little changes, but this will be a definite repeater.
I hope you all have a wonderful Halloween and don't forget to brush your teeth after all that "candy sampling" you may be doing.
 
Comments:
No, it's not just you. I get fewer kids every year. I only got 5 this year, so sad. Are the streets so dangerous? I don't think so, at least not where I live.
 
MMMMM that burger looks good! I love greek food.
We got about 30 kids last night, up from 20 the year before. When I was little, my parents would literally get hundreds of kids a night. It really has changed.
 
I am glad its not just my neighborhood that is seeing the decline. I got way too many teens that don't even dress up, I always want to give them boxes of raisins or something like that.

Sara-
I usually hate leftovers, but the leftover burgers from last night were actually really good today for lunch. I hope you try them.
 
making me hungry.....

PS. I had to defend myself on the meat comment. There is a disclaimer now :D
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:

Just a mom, sharing our life on this little blog.

LINKS
Epicurious / Food TV / Cooking Light / Lone Star Diva

BLOGS I LOVE
Adventures in Food and Wine / Amateur Gourmet / Culinary in the Desert / Farmgirl Fare / Food Blog Scool / I Like to Cook / Jeff's Stuff / Kayaksoup / Mona's Apple / Musings / Savory Notebook / Sweetnicks

ARCHIVES
July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / May 2006 / December 2009 /


Powered by Blogger