Busy Nights Real Food
Friday, August 12, 2005
  Chicken Enchiladas (Punky style)
So one reason I wanted to roast a chicken is so I could use the leftovers for chicken enchiladas. But of course a three pound chicken doesn't leave as many leftovers as one might think. So I had to cook a couple chicken breasts tonight so I could make my enchiladas. This is another recipe that I figured out to replace some processed food. The is my version of SmartOnes(tm) Chicken Enchilada Suiza. I have to tell you there are not a lot of recipes for suiza out there (which is a white cheese sauce basically). Once again I combined several recipes and came up with this. I will post the recipe that I came up when I made it the 1st time, made a few changes this time, but nothing too significant. I am well aware that it is not at all light, but my selection of tolerable lowfat cheeses is sorry.


Chicken Enchilada Suiza
Filling
1 whole Chicken -- Rotisserie (mine was about 2 lbs)
1/2 cup frozen corn -- thawed
1/2 cup frozen spinach -- thawed and squeezed dry
3/4 pound monterey jack cheese -- shredded
4 ounces green chiles -- diced (the can of them); divided


Suiza sauce
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 pound pepper jack cheese -- shredded
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon garlic salt
14 corn tortillas -- 6" size

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2.Remove chicken from bones. Remove skin and shred.
3.In a bowl, combine chicken, corn, spinach 1/2 of the can of green chilis (2 oz), and 1/2 pound of montery jack cheese
4.In a sauce pan, melt butter at medium heat. Add flour and let cook for 1-2 minutes (to cook out raw flour taste). Slowly stir in milk (the sauce will be somewhat thin. If it slows in thickening too much, stop adding the milk). Stir in chicken stock, spices, and remaining chilis. Reduce heat to low and stir in pepper jack cheese until completely melted.
5.Add 1/4 c to 1/2 c of the cheese sauce to the chicken mixture (until just moistened).
6.Heat tortillas according to package directions
7.Spread a little cheese sauce on botton of 9x13 baking dish.
8.Begin rolling enchiladas with chicken mixture and laying in pan seam side down. Pour cheese sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining montery jack cheese.
9.Cover pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes (this last 5 minutes is optional, it browns the tortillas and dries everything a little bit).


 
Comments:
Go Punky! Your Chicken Enchiladas look great! There seems to be plenty to go around to! *hint hint* :)
 
Great Job! They look good!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:

Just a mom, sharing our life on this little blog.

LINKS
Epicurious / Food TV / Cooking Light / Lone Star Diva

BLOGS I LOVE
Adventures in Food and Wine / Amateur Gourmet / Culinary in the Desert / Farmgirl Fare / Food Blog Scool / I Like to Cook / Jeff's Stuff / Kayaksoup / Mona's Apple / Musings / Savory Notebook / Sweetnicks

ARCHIVES
July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / May 2006 / December 2009 /


Powered by Blogger