Busy Nights Real Food
Thursday, July 28, 2005
  Ahoy matey
Well, to follow up my Kraft copy I figured I should try to duplicate the rest of my all time favorite meal, fish sticks. Okay so I actually made fish and chips, but it was perfect. I used some batter mix from the store, because lets be honest, I am all about convenience. Just fried it up in some canola oil and made my own fries as well (and as a tribute to all the fast food fish restaurants I also made those little crispy thingys that are pretty much fried batter). So not my healthiest meal of the week, but one of the tastiest.

I am also trying to get better at reworking those leftovers that I absolutely despise. My fridge is littered with every size tupperware container they make. And each time I open the door I get a a sad look from the rejected chicken, the forgotten pasta, or the desolate hamburger patty. So I must save these leftovers from their untimely trip to the garbage can on Tuesday nights. Plus, I can't see anything in there and end up with 4 bags of grated cheese. So it was time. the two chicken breast halves and the head of broccoli were sitting right at the front. Understand that I had one summer in college where I lived on those Lipton rice sides and chicken nuggets, so yet another much desired processed food had to be made. I came up with this and my fiance was quite impressed.

Lipton side-kick
2 chicken breast halves-grilled (I used Italian dressing as marinade, but use what you like)
2 C instant brown rice
2 1/4 C chicken stock (I cheat and use the canned, who has time to make their own?)
1 head of broccoli
1/4 C shredded cheddar cheese
1/4C shredded Italian 4 cheese blend
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook rice.

Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and heat (I did mine in the microwave. Covered the dish with Saran wrap)

Cut broccoli into bite sized pieces and steam.

Combine rice, chicken, and broccoli. Stir in cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper.

Now I just need to figure out how to make those chicken nuggets.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Name:

Just a mom, sharing our life on this little blog.

LINKS
Epicurious / Food TV / Cooking Light / Lone Star Diva

BLOGS I LOVE
Adventures in Food and Wine / Amateur Gourmet / Culinary in the Desert / Farmgirl Fare / Food Blog Scool / I Like to Cook / Jeff's Stuff / Kayaksoup / Mona's Apple / Musings / Savory Notebook / Sweetnicks

ARCHIVES
July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / May 2006 / December 2009 /


Powered by Blogger